Managing Difficult Conversations
Suitable for: Macmillan Professionals
Duration: 3.5 hours
Providing you with more detailed knowledge and skills, and exploring how to apply these within the remit of your role.
The changing cancer environment
We offer an array of fundamental courses that will help you negotiate difficult situations and improve your understanding of cancer care's ever-changing landscape.
Please Note: Please ensure you have the required equipment to take part; please join 10-15 minutes before the start time and if you are sent pre-work please ensure this is completed in good time before the session as you may not be able to attend the virtual workshop without completing it.
This 3.5 hour virtual classroom is aimed at all those wishing to refresh their listening and responding skills and consider in more detail how they can better support and respond to people who are distressed. It would ideally suit community as well as acute based staff supporting people with cancer, including volunteers and support group leads.
During the session we aim to help you:
• To be clear about the process of communication.
• To provide space to reflect on and to discuss what is necessary for effective communication
• To have an increased awareness of skills/behaviours that may facilitate or block a conversation
• To have an increased confidence in how to support and respond to people who are distressed
• To reflect on challenging questions/statements and explore ways of responding to those
• To discuss ‘boundaries’ and their role
• To consider the importance of looking after yourself
Who is it for?
Request your place
This course is only available to Macmillan Professionals.
Although Macmillan Cancer Support will not charge for this event, please bear in mind that the charity incurs charges for cancellations and no-shows. Please seek permission to attend from your line manager or team if necessary before submitting your form.